The Whitby Suite - Nelson Apartment
- Private entrance
- Private lounge and separate bedroom
- Private bathroom (toilet, shower and vanity)
- Super king (twin singles) sized bed
- Kitchen suitable for light meal preparation, with refrigerator
- Microwave and cooking essentials
- Breakfast tray or self catering options
- Tea and coffee are are provided
- Hair dryer
- Fully serviced daily
- Connection for high speed broadband and wifi
- Television, DVD and radio with CD player
- Off street parking
- Laundry and drying facilities are available
- Outdoor area with BBQ available
Bed and Breakfast Tariff:
Daily room rates range between NZ$180.00 - NZ$250.00. (Extra person NZ$60.00)
Tariff includes a continental or cooked breakfast.
Please enquire with us directly if you wish to self cater.
We have had guests stay in our Nelson apartment for seven days and they have found it to be very private and quiet.
They particularly enjoyed the proximity of the garden and the closeness of the city centre amenities.
Please enquire about our long term rates.
The "Whitby Suite" is named to honour the arrival of the new immigrants from England and Scotland who were going to settle in Nelson.
On the 1st November 1841 three ships entered the Nelson Harbour lead by Captain Arthur Wakefield. They were looking for a safe harbour and land to build the new town. Nelson was found to be the ideal place.
Travelling on the Whitby was my three-times great grandfather John McDonald. He was a farmer from Scotland. All the men with the supplies and building materials arrived on the three ships.
They were to clear land, build houses and establish gardens. At the time parts of the future Nelson were occupied by the local Maori people.
His wife MaryAnn and son James, and all the other woman and children, travelled separately on the Lloyds. The ship landed at Nelson in February 1842. There was to be no return and they settled down to a new life in New Zealand.
"Comfortable, well equipped, lovely hosts, birthday cake and card a real treat, PERFECT, we will be back and recommend to family and friends"
Lesley and Kevin Leech, New Zealand